Monday, December 27, 2010

Recently on the Cleveland Park Listserv

Cleveland Park Listserv's Iconic Symbol
Blogging, twittering, Facebook status updates, Flicker photos, website comments -- these are some of the many different kinds of social networks that we participate in. But the most enduring --and still popular-- kind of social network is the humble email list, also called a listserv. Listservs have been around for eons, and in the DC area there are dozens. All Life Is Local is itself a an offshoot of the Cleveland Park Listserv, the largest neighborhood email list in the United States, with over 10,000 members.

What kind of questions get asked, what kind of issues discussed on neighborhood listservs? Here is a sampling of messages posted recently on the Cleveland Park Listserv. To join the Cleveland Park Listserv, send an email to cleveland-park-subscribe @ yahoogroups.com or visit www.cleveland-park.com. The Cleveland Park Listserv is fun, enlightening and calorie-free (unless you're tempted by the restaurant and chocolate store reviews on the Cleveland Park Listserv.)  Google is great, but email lists can give you the kind of answers that only real people can provide.



I just wrecked my van and the steering is really bad. Does anyone know of a place in DC that can do both kinds of work?
--
I have been buying Cacao's delicious baguettes for lunch and to toast for breakfast for several weeks now, but today I made a big mistake. I went in there late and hungry and got two of the baguettes and a bunch of their other things because they looked and were fabulous. This is a place we want to keep in Cleveland Park.
--
Free Golf Bags: Taking a holiday trip somewhere warm? We are giving away two used but good condition travel golf bags: One is all black by OGIO, One is black and red by OGIO
--
What seems to totally negate the random Metro bag inspections effectiveness is that they are saying you can refuse to have your bag inspected and leave Metro. If a would-be terrorist is stopped, can't he or she simply walk out and try again? I would assume they have considered this?
--
Can anyone recommend good blocks or neighborhoods in the DC area to see elaborate holiday lights?
--
I'm starting a new job in January in Alexandria. Does anyone have any insight on the daily commute to Alexandria, which route is best from Cleveland Park and how long it might take?
--
A family I know is in need of beds, pillows, etc. The mom has breast cancer and is living on the floor. She has three kids, from 3 to 16 months and they are all sleeping on the floor. She gets little money ($300 for rent) for food and shelter. Anything you have to give, I can make arrangements for someone to pick up. Please let me know what you can donate.
--
At 5pm today when I exited the Metro, the sidewalks of the bridge were still unshoveled/unsalted from this morning's snow. I filed a 311 report as soon as I got home; I've been checking the tracking number online and no updates. I can speak firsthand to the fact that this is a constant problem during snowfalls. There's no reason why that bridge shouldn't be shoveled proactively instead of requiring repeated 311 calls.
--
My flip phone has died (drowned, if you must know) and I'm thinking of taking things to the next level. So, I'd like to try an iPhone, but I'd also rather not get into a new 2 year contract with AT&T. Does anyone have an extra iPhone or other smartphone that would work with AT&T? Please be in touch with details. Feedback on various models of smart phones is also welcome!
--
I am considering using Mulheron Tree Experts to do some major tree work. Does anyone have positive or negative experiences with them that I should be aware of? Recommendations for other companies will also be appreciated.
--
My wife is delivering in 3 weeks and we need a pediatrician nearby with weekend hours. We live near the Cathedral. I greatly appreciate your help.








No comments:

Post a Comment