Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Recommended: Find Out Which Kitty Litter Is the Cat's Meow


Our companion email list, the Cleveland Park Listserv, is a treasure trove of recommendations. We want to share on All Life Is Local, on a periodic basis, the best recommendations that have been posted on the Cleveland Park Listserv. You'll be able to search All Life Is Local for "contractor," "plumber," "computer tech," "auto body shop" -- whatever you need..


I, too, dislike clay litter. I use S'wheat Litter and the World's Best Cat Litter (made from corn) together. I stumbled across the combination by accident when I "topped off" the box with the other brand. A 50-50 blend of the 2 items seems ultra absorbent and odor free. I only have one cat so I do not know about its effectiveness in a multi-cat home.

--

Scoop Away is great. It clumps thereby saving in the amount of wasted litter. No smell to mention. Costco sells it in 42 lb bags and offers from time to time at a discount.

--

I'm using "Arm and Hammer" deodorizer in top of the regular litter. It works great with four adult cats.

--

I love S'wheat Litter. It is wheat based. My cat likes it too.

--

I like Yesterday's News--it's in pellet-form, made out of old newspaper. I find it to be very absorbent, and I don't think it has its own bad smell. Its biggest advantage is that it doesn't break down easily, so the cats don't track it everywhere.

--

I recommend a corn-based, all natural cat litter, called World's Best Cat Litter.

--

I've been happy with The World's Best Litter. It's made from corn and clumps naturally. I was told no chemicals. My cats seem fine with it. I buy the 17 lb bag at Pet Needs on Connecticut/Albemarle, as the small bag (sold at Safeway) is expensive. I've been told it might not be good for a cat with urinary problems as grain can aggravate that. But I have a cat with a past history of urinary problems and she has been fine using this litter for the past year.

--

I have used Feline Pine for years and it does have an odor - an odor of pine. It doesn't bother me or the cats either. I wouldn't use the clay, if it makes you cough you are inhaling it and so are the cats.

--

Costco litter is great; very absorbent and long lasting.

--

I rescue cats and have a lot in a very big house. I don't like the smell of the pine and it is expensive for the number of rescue cats. So, I use the cheap Tidy Cats clay because it is the cheapest. And dusty but I have a minimalist home so cleaning is very easy.

For my recently spayed and neutered cats and kittens that I socialize and tame in cages sometimes, since they are from colonies in Southeast, I use Yesterday's News. It has absolutely no odor and you can flush it down the toilet. I line the cat box with newspaper so the box stays clean. I wish I could use it for all of the rescues but if you have gazillion boxes, and I have to fund them, it isn't practical from a financial point of view. There is no dust ever. The Feline Pine goes everywhere. The News pellets stay in the box. Also, I just roll it up into a nice bundle when I change as you do when rolling garbage.

--

I highly recommend "The World's Best"-- Natural, no dust, no strange odor, and works great for my cat.
--

The best kind out there is "World's Best Cat Litter." It isn't clay and can be expensive, but honestly the name is accurate.

--

We've just been through a few months of litter changes trying to find one that worked for us and our new baby. Because of her, we were looking for something "healthier" and one that didn't track all over the house. We tried "World's Best Cat Litter" and it was absolutely terrible. Our two cats tracked it all over the house -- at times there were even actual footprints. It also left a layer of dust covering everything in the room where the litter box is located. This was despite daily scooping and sweeping. I'm still puzzled by how it gets any positive reviews on Amazon.

--

We tried a few other supermarket brands that claimed to be natural, but didn't love them. We ended up going back to Feline Pine (whole pellets, not the clumping version). As you say, it does have an odor, but we're willing to live with it. If we decide to do another round of litter experiments, I'd be interested to try something called "Healthy Pet Litter" and S'wheat Scoop, which we never got around to. I also have a friend who loves Yesterday's News, but I think I tried that a few years ago and didn't have the same success, but I can't remember the details.

--

I use Fresh Step Scoopable. I keep plastic bags available in the bathroom and scoop the waste out every single morning. I throw the bag out on my dog walk. (Yes, we have a dog, too.) Every single Thursday like clockwork, I change out the entire litter from the boxes and replace the lot with fresh litter. (4 cats; we have three separate boxes all in the common bathroom.) The boxes are standard plastic ones from Petco. They are inexpensive, never smell, are easy to clean and last forever. We never have a smell. The apartment is fresh as a daisy. That's just my word, of course. But, it's true. (If you're using the Pine material, you may be getting a musty odor from the urine. My best friend used to get one from the newspaper stuff. Ugh. Nasty.)

--

I highly recommend World's Best. It is corn-based and there is very little dust. Environment-wise, it is natural (there is a weird commercial on TV where people eat the litter) and flushable. Performance-wise I find it actually clumps much better for liquid waste than clay formulas. Tough for me to judge solid waste because neither World's Best nor clay-based litters have fully covered up the smell for my one bedroom apt; I'd judge it equal to or possibly 10% worse than clay mixtures. Perhaps you can try the multi-cat formula which I've never tried but it is labeled as fighting odor better.

--

We use Dr. Elsey's crystal litter for long haired cats. it has low tracking and is environmentally friendly. Our cats are fine with it as well.

--

After seeing a couple of television commercials (I am usually a bit skeptical about these sorts of claims) I tried World's Best Cat Litter this past summer and love it. It is made of corn (natural) and there is very little tracking, clumps really well, does not stick to the sides of the box, is flushable (a big plus in eliminating the need for litter bags and disposal) and odor control is great -- and most importantly, my cats like it too. It is a bit more expensive than other litters (about $10 per bag) but lasts much longer, so I have found that it is actually cheaper in the long run. I have suggested this brand to other neighbors who have tried it and are pleased as well. It is worth a try.

--

I also absolutely hate the dust of clay litter. I just recently switched to World's Best Cat Litter. Sounded too good to be true, but is actually working quite well. Not dusty and the cats don't seem to track it around as much on the floor. It's expensive but keeps the odor in check and is actually flushable.

--

We have used "World's Best" litter for years. It's made of corn and can easily be flushed down the toilet.

--

We use S'wheat Scoop litter for our cat in our small one-bedroom apartment. The litter is behind our couch in the living room so smell is very important. It has a slight smell of bread or flour when poured and does a good job with cat odors (we scoop 1-2 times a day). There is no excessive dust and it clumps up admirably. It's available at the local Petco too.

--

We have four cats and use Petco's basic clumping litter, which seems to work well. It tends to be one of the lower priced brands and after your initial purchase you can refill your container at the store and save a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment