Friday, May 20, 2011

Elderly Couple Mugged in Best Buy Underground Parking LotGarage

The following eyewitness account was posted on the Second District Police Listserv on May 17 after it had originally appeared on a neighborhood listserv.

I was the first witness to a violent mugging of two elderly people in the garage
below Best Buy at the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Albemarle. The two young males fled  as I got out of my truck to assist and one was inches from my grasp.

Unfortunately, I witnessed the entire thing: It happened so fast I couldn't stop
them even though I did block their escape for a minute with my truck. But since
I was wearing my crocs (floppy soft rubber shoes) on my feet I could not pursue.

I had noticed the the two young males in the Best Buy acting odd, just didn't
seem right, something off. They had apparently stalked their prey and watched
them buy an iPad, followed them to the garage, and when the old man was putting
the bag into the back seat, the thugs grabbed the old lady and threw her to
ground so hard she split her head and was bleeding, and pushed the old man into
the car, ripping the bag with the iPad in it so hard they tore his thumb and
dislocated it.
Police Lieutenant Alan Hill posted a lookout for two suspects: 

Suspect #1 Black Male, 5' 8" - 5' 9", "Skinny" wearing dark clothing, dark skull cap.
Suspect #2 Black Male, 5' 8" - 5' 9", "Skinny" wearing dark clothing.

Lt. Hill reported that a third individual was "detained for an interview in reference to the assault." The police are urging anyone with information to call the Command Information Center of the Metropolitan Police Department at 202-727-9099.


A subsequent poster on the Second District Police Listserv commented that she had previously been a victim of a crime in that garage and reminded drivers to be aware of their surroundings as they go to and from their cars, and never leave any packages visible in their cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment