Sunday, November 27, 2022

Still Life with Robin….and Tomtit and Baobab!

by Peggy Robin 

We already know that there are plenty of Spelling Bee players among the membership of the Cleveland Park Listserv -- or at least a good number who responded positively to my previous column about the popular daily online New York Times word game, Spelling Bee. (See "I Have a Spelling Bee in My Bonnet": http://alllifeislocal.blogspot.com/2021/09/still-life-with-robin-i-have-spelling.html.)

I am totally addicted to this game and have been tweeting about it daily since my unbroken Queen Bee streak began way back on June 6, 2021. In my daily tweet (under the Twitter handle, @StillLifewRobin) I like to write a few sentences about how easy/hard/long/fun/frustrating I found that day's Bee, using a handful of synonyms for some of the words found in the bee, which serve as clues to those answers. That daily activity has won me a bit of a Twitter following -- although in one of my more recent columns I agonized over the difficult choice to remain on Twitter now that it's under the control of the Evil, Scary Musk-Rat. (See: "The Twitter Conundrum": http://alllifeislocal.blogspot.com/2022/11/still-life-with-robin-twitter-conundrum.html 

I have my followers -- and I also follow a number of fun and helpful Spelling Bee whizzes. Two of the best are Jenn and Cee, who work together under the gaming names, TOMTIT and BAOBAB, found on Twitter at  
https://twitter.com/TomtitBaobaband on their weekly podcast about the Bee at: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tomtit-baobab-a-bee-inspired-podcast/id1614136488 

If you're interested in word games and in Spelling Bee in particular, I would urge you to subscribe to this lively, funny, and  logorrheic word-stravaganza. You can subscribe whenever you get your podcasts.

If you would just like to listen to an episode, there's one I particularly recommend -- for one admittedly self-serving reason: I'm the guest! Here's the link:  https://anchor.fm/tomtitbaobab/episodes/The-HOURLONG-e1r44n2 

If you don't have time for the full hour-long episode and just want to hear the part where I come in, start at the 28 minute 30 second mark....but when you have more time, be sure to go back and listen to the episode from the beginning. There's so much random word trivia packed into the first half hour, it's amazeballs! Take the discussion of the word "piñata," which was accepted in the Bee without the tilde over the N -- that is, as "pinata." Is this legit? Not only do you get all the ramifications of the  Ñ vs. N spelling of this Spanish word in English, but you get a little side history of the tilde, too. A word-nerd's dream (or sueño) come true! 

I'm now as hooked on the podcast as I am on the daily word game. Feel free to retweet and recommend Tomtit & Baobab to all your Spelling-Bee-addicted friends!
--------------

Still Life with Robin is published on the Cleveland Park Listserv and on All Life Is Local on Saturdays.

1 comment:

  1. Don’t tempt me! I already spend too much time with my ritual of Wordle ,Vertex, and Spelling Bee as I drink my morning coffee.

    ReplyDelete