Sunday, July 14, 2024

Still Life with Robin: The Blooms of Summer, Part 2

 by Peggy Robin

About a month ago I wrote in this space about the explosion of colorful, blooming hydrangea bushes I had observed on a short walk around Cleveland Park. I am so far out of my wheelhouse when it comes to botanical matters that I wondered if summer was always like this and I'd just never noticed it before, or whether this really was a super-spectacular summer for hydrangeas.

Now I've got the answer to my question. It's not just my own bloom-obliviousness. Yes, folks, according to the New York Times, this is an exceptional year for hydrangeas.

Here you go, all the flower news that's fit to print:


It’s Not Just Your Garden: ‘Hydrangea Hysteria’ Blooms in the Northeast

Here’s why hydrangeas are having a banner year on the East Coast and how you can enjoy them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/10/us/hydrangea-flower-bloom-season.html?unlocked_article_code=1.7E0.ps5s.OyZNBtmV6K3r&smid=url-share 

Read the whole article to learn the why, when, and how of this year's super-bloom -- and even if you don't read the whole thing, do click on the link below to see a Tik-Tok of the proof (taken in Maryland):

https://www.tiktok.com/@ivyarbaugh/video/7379599692667047199?_r=1&_t=8nuSeXnDXry 

-----------

Still Life with Robin is posted on the Cleveland Park Listserv and on All Life Is Local on Saturdays (usually) but in this case, it was delayed until Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment