Saturday, August 22, 2026

Still Life with Robin: Picture the Wildlife

 by Peggy Robin


I'm a regular follower of Rodman St resident Tom Hentoff, whose photos of DMV area wildlife -- as well as photos taken in his travels -- have won him multiple nominations in our end-of-the-year Cleveland Park Listies awards for Photo of the Year, including a win in 2023.

I've been following his BlueSky posts throughout the summer, and the photos just keep getting better and better. So I thought I'd share a selection in today's Still Life with Robin, starting with....

Beaver showing off for visitors to the Tidal Basin  https://bsky.app/profile/tomhentoff.bsky.social/post/3l26uoft64q2o


Due to the Listserv's limits on the display of images in a single message, I need to send you directly to his BlueSky feed to see more:
Red Tailed Hawk near Taft Bridge 

Asian Jumping Wall Spider on Maine Avenue - really extraordinary -- but trigger warning! - not for arachnophobes!!

Laughing Gull Flying over the Potomac

Immature Woodpecker on Rodman St.

Monarch Butterfly in Central Park, NYC

All of the above pictures...plus a few of mine, too...can be found in the PHOTOS section of the Cleveland Park Listserv in the album WILDLIFE IN AND OUT OF CLEVELAND PARK.

You are very welcome to add your own wildlife photos to this album. Here are the upload instructions: 
  1. Go to the WILDLIFE IN AND AROUND CLEVELAND PARK in the  PHOTOS section of the Listserv and click on Wild"Spring Flowers" (the 9th album in the section).
  2. Click on the green "+ADD PHOTOS" button.
  3. Drag and drop each photo you want to add, one by one, or hit "click to choose photos".
  4. (Optional) Write a brief description of each photo. Useful info: When and where the photo was taken.
  5. Hit "Upload"
  6. Very Important: Do NOT check "notify members".  The correct way to let readers know that you've added your photos(s) to the album is to write a message to clevelandpark@groups.io about the photos you have added to a Listserv album. Copy and paste into your message the link to view each photo. That way, readers get to choose whether or not they want to view your photos. (If you click the "notify members" button, everyone gets a notification, whether they want to view your photos or not -- and the moderator will be very annoyed at you. If I knew how to disable this feature in Groups.io photo albums, I would.)
Who knows....you might win a Listy too!
-----------------------------
Still Life with Robin is posted on the Cleveland Park Listserv and on All Life Is Local on Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment