Monday, January 17, 2011

Texting While Driving: Admission of Guilt

I've heard a lot of excuses for why people text while driving. But today I heard something I never thought I'd hear: Somebody who jokes about his texting while driving.

Lives lost, bodies injured: That's what texting while driving does. It's hardly a joke. And I sincerely hope that this tag line that was appended to a message posted on a neighborhood listserv was in fact just an attempt at humor, and not a reflection of the way this person drives:
Please forgive any punctuation or spelling errors. This message was typed on a blackberry, while driving I'm sure. Thank you in advance. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
If this email tag line is grounded in reality, then that person deserves to have his driver's license revoked. 

This British public service video about the dangers of texting while driving has been viewed over a million times and for good reason. If you haven't seen it yet, then it's worth a view

1 comment:

  1. Texting is a problem.

    So is talking on a phone while driving. It isn't just about having your hands occupied or not. It is also about dividing your attention. I've read news reports that divided attention is as bad as drunk driving for accidents.

    Thank you for this post reminding people about the dangers of texting, but lets not forget about the dangers of using a phone while driving.

    ReplyDelete