Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ask Kelli: Teachers Need Education; Husband Needs Guy Time; Break-up Needs Time to Heal

by Kelli Miller

Dear Kelli,

My son has Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD), also called Sensory Integration Disorder. He goes to a public elementary school but I’m not sure his teachers fully understand what the disorder is about. Do you think it’s insulting to provide the teachers with literature about it?

Signed,
In the Know


Dear In the Know,

I applaud you for wanting to help the teachers get to know what this disorder is all about, so they can better help your son. But my advice is to approach the principal with this idea first. It’s the principal’s job to manage the teachers and he/she will give you his/her take. I’d bring along the literature for your child's teachers, and if the principal is open to it, I’d have the principal give it to them. Then I think at your next child’s conference you can discuss it with the teachers.

All the best,
Kelli

---


Dear Kelli,

My husband and I have a great relationship, or at least I thought we did. On the weekends, I have noticed he often he wants to do his own thing. It’s usually typical guy stuff (driving, sports, etc.).  I’m wondering if his avoidance of me is a reflection of how he feels about me? I haven’t discussed this with anyone because I’m so embarrassed.

Signed,
Doing His Own Thing


Dear Doing His Own Thing,

I want to assure you it’s very normal for men or woman to want to do their own thing on the weekends. In fact, it can be a sign of a healthy relationship! You mentioned that you thought you had a great relationship, and that’s why I believe this is just a case of your husband taking care of himself. I have a feeling you do things to take care of yourself that don’t involve your husband and you don’t even realize it!

Now if you were to tell me you felt you weren’t as close to your husband anymore, or you've been feeling for a while that he's been growing distant, I would guess there would be a deeper problem to investigate. But it sounds to me as if he just needs to de-stress on the weekend. Don’t analyze it too much!

All the best,
Kelli

---

Dear Kelli,

A few days ago I broke up with this guy I was dating. It’s been hard. Really hard. I’m wondering if I need closure? We had a pretty lengthy discussion, and I got out everything I wanted to say, but I don’t feel any better. Thoughts?

Signed,
Closure?


Dear Closure?

People often confuse needing closure with needing to heal. It sounds like your heart is still broken and you want to fix it. I get it. But if you had a lengthy discussion and feel you got out everything you wanted to say, the next part is just sitting back and letting time heal you. Remember, it takes time to feel better after a break-up, and one intense conversation may not do it.

Sometimes “getting closure” for some couples opens up old wounds again and adds more confusion. So if you feel in your heart it was best to end the relationship, now's the time to be strong and move on. If you are tempted to call, text, or email, call a friend instead.

All the best,
Kelli

---
From Kelli: We're looking to use a surrogate to expand our family and expenses are pilling high. If you like what you read, you can make a super fast and much appreciated $5 donation at http://tinyurl.com/AskKelliDonation
---

Kelli Miller, MSW is a therapist, author, and radio personality. Miller was a featured expert for SIRIUS Satellite Radio Channel 198, the co-host for the TV show Love and Money: The Advice Show, and the advice columnist for Playboy U, and the author of Professor Kelli’s Guide to Finding a Husband. Ask Kelli is published on All Life is Local and the Cleveland Park Listserv on Wednesdays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment