Saturday, February 12, 2022

Still Life with Robin: Resistance Is Futile

by Peggy Robin


I like to think, at my age, I'm beyond succumbing to peer pressure to do anything. So when my friends first started telling me I should do what they were doing, I brushed them off. I don't need another hobby, I said. Too time-consuming. Too similar to other things I do.

But they kept up the pressure. Just try it, they said, it's just the sort of thing you'd like. And it's not time-consuming. You'd be able to do it in under five minutes. It's fun. C'mon....try!

I kept finding excuses not to do it. Why do I need something else to distract me? I'm busy enough as it is. And there's a new one every day. Once I started, I might want to keep going. I know myself too well. I'd want the win, and once I won a few days in a row, I'd want to keep the streak going. Knowing that, why even start?

But it really was all around me. One of my podcast subscriptions featured the creator - an hour-long interview with the guy. Then there was another hour-long show with the guy who acquired the thing for the New York Times. I had to admit they made it sound intriguing. 

On top of that, every day there's my Twitter feed. Everyone I know is posting their scores. Those colorful boxes. Every day! I can't escape! 

My resistance was wearing thin.

Then one day, I just took a peek. That was six days ago.

I've done it every day since. In 4 or 5 moves. Already I'm hoping I can do it in 3. It's bound to happen sooner or later. It will be a quite a rush when it does.

Yes, I'm hooked, all right.

WORDLE. 


















--------------
Follow-up! Yesterday (Sunday, February 13, 2021) THIS happened:
















Now they really got me!!
-------------------------
Still Life with Robin is posted on the Cleveland Park Listserv and on All Life Is Local on Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment