Saturday, June 10, 2023

Still Life with Robin: Kindness Amid the Construction Blockade

by Peggy Robin


Here's a story by Cleveland Park neighbor Olivia Norman (copied with permission from her Facebook post of June 2, 2023) about the difficulties of navigating the construction zone on Connecticut Avenue. Note: Olivia has been blind since birth and usually can get around very well with the assistance of her highly trained (and exceptionally beautiful!) guide dog Tofu -- but the construction barriers around her apartment building on Connecticut Avenue have proved to be an especially challenging obstacle course.

Here's how she tells the story:

Olivia's Post
Olivia Norman

Took the dog out and tried to navigate the construction mess that’s around my building still. The following happened.

Kind man: Would you like some help around the construction?

Me: I would, but I have Covid, which is why I have the mask on, so you might not want to come close to me.

Kind man: it’s OK, I just had it and I don’t mind. How can I best help you around this? The sidewalk is blocked.

He proceeded to guide me around it, take my dog out with me and take me back to my door. Even in isolation it’s sometimes possible to find good in the world. I am grateful and I’ll use the other entrance. That’s the problem with this construction. I come out in the morning and never know what to expect from moment to moment. I am hanging in there, but still exhausted and feverish. I go outside for very short walks with the dog. Thank you for all the well wishes.
--------
Let me add my well wishes to you both!

--------------------------
Still Life with Robin is posted on the Cleveland Park Listserv and on All Life Is Local on Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment