Thursday, July 25, 2024

Get Out! You can be in Paris (virtually) for the Summer Olympics at your friendly neighborhood CP Bar & Grill

 by Peggy Robin


Non, je regrette rien! Not sorry I failed to book a flight to Paris and didn't fork out thousands of euros over the usual high summer rates to stay in an AirBnB or hôtel touristique during these next two weeks and a bit. Not wishing I'd grabbed at the chance to pay who-knows-how-much to snag tickets to a few of the more popular events.

Pourquoi pas? Because I can enjoy the games right here, in the comfort of my home, on my own wide TV screen -- free! -- courtesy of NBC or one of its dedicated Olympic sports sub-channels. Or if I want to get out and enjoy the games with a cheering crowd, I can go to my pick of sports bars and root for my Olympic favorites along with a roomful of other fans.

My go-to neighborhood bar has got to be Cleveland Park Bar & Grill, where I had my Jeopardy watch party back on July 23, 2019. (Today is just two days past my five-year Jeoparversary, or tape-aversary (Jeopardy contestant veterans use both terms interchangeably). More about that at https://alllifeislocal.blogspo.com/2019/07/still-life-with-robin-countdown-to-j-day.html

Tommy Mensing of Cleveland Park Bar & Grill writes:
"Yes, we are showing the Olympics during our regular business hours.* If there is an important event or game that takes place live when we're not usually open, we may open early for that but we will have to see what happens going forward."

Ouvrons Grand les Jeux!*

  * Regular Business Hours
     Monday 5:00 PM - 2:00 AM
     Tuesday 5:00 PM - 2:00 AM
     Wednesday 5:00 PM - 2:00 AM
     Thursday 5:00 PM - 2:00 AM
     Friday 4:00 PM - 3:00 AM
     Saturday 11:30 AM - 3:00 AM
     Sunday 11:30 AM - 2:00 AM


Want to come out and cheer on our DMV local heroes? Washingtonian Magazine's got a good run-down on who they are -- from our big name swimmer, Katie Ledecky (Stone Ridge School in Bethesda, to the track and field star Noah Lyle (Alexandria City HS) to first-time Olympian, diver Greg Duncan (Madison HS in Vienna) to Christian Tabash, a rower who went to Gonzaga -- and quite a few others, too.
-----------
* Translation: Games wide open!
-----------
The "Get Out!" event of the week is posted on the Cleveland Park Listserv and on All Life Is Local on Thursdays

No comments:

Post a Comment